Monday, March 5, 2012

The Latest Issue of Hertfordshire People


The latest issue has arrived and contains the usual selection of news and articles that one can expect from the Hertfordshire Family History Society.  

I enjoyed Jackie Robinson's account Brick Wall after Brick Wall for my Rowley Research and was interested that Daniel Butler was listed twice in the 1871. When people were away from home on census night it seems that sometimes they were recorded twice - and perhaps sometimes they were not recorded at all! John Sly's tale of A Light Brigade Charger's Grave in Hertfordshire shows that even a simple grave in a churchyard can have links to historical events. Of course, if you want to read these articles, or any of the others I don't have time to mention you can get a copy for yourself by joining the society.

I am noting the date of the March meeting What happened to Lucy? on March 31st, in my diary but because of medical procedures timetabled earlier in the week I may not be able to get there. With any luck the cataract operation will mean that I will be able to drive again in time to hear Alan Ruston talk on Was Your Ancestor a Dissenter or Nonconformist? (April 28 & AGM)  and Daphne Knott talking on Treasures from the Hertfordshire Archives (26 May). (Details of Forthcoming Meetings).

Whenever I next attend I will be making for the bookstall as I note from the current issue that the Memorial Inscriptions booklet for Northchurch is now available, and that for St Albans Abbey Churchyard is coming soon. I will also be planning to spin the Herts Marriage Links CD. (Publication List).

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is the newsletter for the Genealogy in Hertfordshire Web site. Comments on this blog are moderated and may be transferred to the web site where appropriate. If you have a local or family history query you want answered you must use "Ask Chris" - See box in right hand column. Anonymous comments cannot be answered.