Sunday, January 6, 2013

Hertfordshire (and other) Books on ebay

Over the years I have built up a large library of reference books and local histories relating to Hertfordshire - originally funded by selling of other collections from my younger years - such as my books on caving! In recent years I have been too busy to put duplicate and other unwanted books up for sale and have been subsidising the library out of my pension.  I still have many many hundred of books to sell (including some Hertfordshire duplicates) and had planned to restart selling again this year - to reduce quite a large "leak" from my pension.

One of the books on sale on ebay
However a crisis has occurred. On Saturday I noticed several piles of boxes of books in our local auction rooms which included quite a few from Hertfordshire (especially St Albans). As there was very little interest I foolishly bid - which means I have an urgent storage problem! Not only have I got new titles for my reference library - but I have more Hertfordshire duplicates -and have decided to start selling on ebay again. To my delight the boxes obviously came from a collector who had some similar interests to my own. Of course there was some complete rubbish (already on its way to the dump) and many attractive modern non-fiction books in near mint condition (9 bags full already for distribution around the local charities shops) There are also some interesting collectible items which I am thinking of selling to recover some of my library expenditure over the last year.

So far I have posted a number of items for sale on ebay UK (I am Chris_from_Hertfordshire). I started with some of the St Albans duplicates and plan to post half a dozen items a day (half related to Hertfordshire) over the coming months.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is the newsletter for the Genealogy in Hertfordshire Web site. Comments on this blog are moderated and may be transferred to the web site where appropriate. If you have a local or family history query you want answered you must use "Ask Chris" - See box in right hand column. Anonymous comments cannot be answered.