Friday, January 11, 2013

Even I hit Brick Walls sometimes ...

Answers
 The harder you bang your head against the wall, and the longer you spend doing it,  the less likely you are to  step to one side and find is a doorway through the wall just round the corner! Many of the questions I get can be solved by just throwing new light on information which is reasonably accessible, perhaps using some special search tricks, and sometimes new or easily overlooked resources.

So sometime I get a question where I feel I can offer little practical advice. It may be that there is no solution - or perhaps I am just looking too hard in the wrong case. Anthony Pearson asked me about Henry Pearson - who according to the 1881 and 1891 census was born in Barnet in about 1855. However there are no obvious entries in the 1861 or 1871 census and no matching birth registrations around 1855 - even after I tried all the tricks of the trade at the problem. Read Henry PEARSON, Barnet, 1850s to see the approach I used - and you might spot a trick that could help you with your problems - or find the advice in I've hit a Brick Wall useful.

Or even better (for Anthony) you might see something I overlooked and come up with a way forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is the newsletter for the Genealogy in Hertfordshire Web site. Comments on this blog are moderated and may be transferred to the web site where appropriate. If you have a local or family history query you want answered you must use "Ask Chris" - See box in right hand column. Anonymous comments cannot be answered.