Alister has provided a useful update on the history of the Half Moon public house, High Street, Hemel Hempstead, at the end of the 18th into the early 19th century. The earliest known owner was a Dr Hugh Smith (does anyone know anything about him), and through marriage the pub became part of the estate of the Holloway's Brewery. On the death of George Holloway in 1827 the brewery was sold but the following pubs were transferred to Weller's Amersham Brewery.
Half Moon, High Street, Hemel Hempstead
Leather Bottle, Leverstock Green
Queens Head, Corner Hall, near Two Waters
Red Lion, Nash Mills