Sunday, February 28, 2016

Hertfordshire People - March 2016

I have just received the latest copy of Hertfordshire People, - The Quarterly Journal of the Hertfordshire Family History Society, and as always it is packed with information. Items I personally found particularly interesting were:
My Favourite First World War Relative told the story of C S M Herbert Henry Stone and is an interesting example of what you can find out about your soldier relatives.
What's New at HALS - I was most interested to see that some military service tribunal records had survived, and there some farm surveys relating to the First Worl Dar
Hertfordshire Firsts ...... described the origins of steeplechasing.
As I live in Tring I was thrilled by the article A Female Pauper Apprentice's Life at Tring Silk Mill and the article paints a bleak picture of the working conditions pauper girls were require to work under.
The Book Review section covers a number of interesting volumes and I am planning to purchase two relating to the canals and the First World War - and if I have time reviews will appear on my web site.
I have also noted some Dates for my Diary - included future Society Meetings and also some others. I don't think I will have time to go to Who do you think you are at Birmingham in April but will try and make the Buckinghamshire FHS Open Day at Aylesbury on 23rd July, as my mother's family tree has Aylesbury branches going back to about 1600.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is the newsletter for the Genealogy in Hertfordshire Web site. Comments on this blog are moderated and may be transferred to the web site where appropriate. If you have a local or family history query you want answered you must use "Ask Chris" - See box in right hand column. Anonymous comments cannot be answered.