Thursday, February 7, 2013

Old Hertfordshire News from Overseas

Old News
Having given my talk to the Tring U3A Geneology Group this morning I sat down at the computer and immediately found a relevant useful Wikipedia page - which lists web sites round the world which lists online newspaper sites. It only took me minutes to find an article, with picture of Lord Rothschild with his harnessed zebra, in the New York Tribune, and several reference to one of my wife's relative in the South Australian in 1839. So I decided to have a look at what I could find about Tring in the New Zealand Newspapers (PapersPast) and quickly turned up a number of stories). Most of the "hits" were duff (words such as "string" being OCRed as "tring" and quite a lot referred to people named "Tring." See Old Tring News from New Zealand Newspapers for many example of what I found. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is the newsletter for the Genealogy in Hertfordshire Web site. Comments on this blog are moderated and may be transferred to the web site where appropriate. If you have a local or family history query you want answered you must use "Ask Chris" - See box in right hand column. Anonymous comments cannot be answered.