Sunday, December 4, 2011

The British Newspaper Archive is up and running

At long last there is a goodly collection of local newspapers available online in digital form - and earlier today I had a online session to see how well the search facilities work. I was very impressed and have written an account of what I found. The current collection (less than 10% of the planned total) includes two Hertfordshire papers, and two that included parts of Hertfordshire in their normal coverage.  I was able to fill a missing gap in the career of my Great Grandfather - and there is much more information which relates to the "artificial fertilizer" connection. I have also discovered another ancestor whose move to Hertfordshire may  have been caused by bankruptcy.
     This is an essential resource for the serious family historian - so let me know how you get on - by adding your own experiences as a comment to this blog. Your comments will help other people to make the most of this exciting new web site.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is the newsletter for the Genealogy in Hertfordshire Web site. Comments on this blog are moderated and may be transferred to the web site where appropriate. If you have a local or family history query you want answered you must use "Ask Chris" - See box in right hand column. Anonymous comments cannot be answered.