Every year the churches and chapels in Hertfordshire (and adjoining Bedfordshire) have a sponsored bike'n'hike day where the aim is to visit as many churches as possible in the day. As many of these are normally locked it is a good opportunity for a sponsored "family history" tour round the county visiting all the churches or chapels your ancestors used - as most will be open for the event - often with tea and biscuits available. There is a very long list and as an example the following churches and chapels open in or near Tring:
- Aldbury, Station Road, St. John the Baptist
- Long Marston, Station Road, All Saints
- Puttenham, Church Lane, St. Mary
- Tring, Chapel Street, St. Martha (Methodist)
- Tring, High Street, St. Peter's & St. Paul's
- Tring, New Road, New Mill Baptist Church
- Tring, Langdon Street, Corpus Christi (RC)
- Wigginton, Vicarage Road, St. Bartholomew
- Wigginton, Chesham Road, Baptist Church
- Wilstone, Tring Road, St. Cross
As far as I know neither the High Street Baptists or the Akeman Street Baptists are taking part this year (which does not mean they will be closed. For instance the High Street Baptists are open every Saturday morning for tea and buiscuits.
In previous years I have used this event as an opportunity to visit a number of churches, take photographs, and purchase copies of any leaflets giving the history of the buildings.